Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Mountains at last!

At last is right. The mountain views I've been hearing about for such a long time have finally emerged. It's been pretty gray ever since Deirdre and I got here last Saturday; Bing tells us we brought the Washington weather with us. But California is proving itself worthy of the adjective 'sunny'. Today it got up above 85, which felt surprisingly wonderful. The mountains are covered in live pines or something, and they look more like large hills to me than anything else. They are called the "Topa Topa Mountains", which I think is the most rediculous name for a mountain range ever. I haven't yet seen the so-called "Pink Moment", which apparently only occurs when there are enough clouds in the West and the sun shines through them creating a pink haziness sort of thing all around Ojai. The two first impressions I got of California were when we were flying into Burbank and in the car ride on the way home. I looked out of the plane window, and the first thing out of my mouth was, "Woah. That's a LOT of pools!" I'm dead serious, there's a pool in almost every backyard. (Including our own.) The second was that there are palm trees everywhere. Everywhere. It's like the state tree, flower, bush, bird, igloo, and everything else. I never knew there were more than maybe two varieties of palm trees, but I was mistaken. I can't count how many different species I've seen without using my toes! Crazy...
Anyway, our house is pretty nice, but it's no where near as nice as the yard and pool. The pool/hot tub are so cool. The hot tub flows into the pool most of the time, in two mini waterfall things. The pool is shaped sort of like an 8, and gets about 7-8 feet deep. I love it. We have 3 and a half acres, with gorgeous landscaping and tons of pretty flowers. I'm still trying to decide which flower gets the "favorite" prize. I really like the willow tree outside Deirdre's and my door/window. It's really cool. But you don't have to take my word for it. Come visit us and find out for yourself. :)
I should go see if the brownies are done cooking (yumm...), so until next time, God bless you! I love *most* of you guys. ;)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheila, you change from first to third person half way through your profile. Or right at the start, to be accurate.

Anonymous said...

Deirdre, that comment is very like you, just for the record.

Anonymous said...

I know, Deirdre. I kind of meant to.

Anonymous said...

Perf! I cahn't wait to swim in your pool. Do you have life jackets? ;) I just plain cahn't wait to see your house with you in it! :)

Anonymous said...

You're dresser sounds cool. Maybe if you feel so inclined you might paint a knob blue for me??? That would make me happy. Hope your 'Washington' weather ends soon! My pen-pal Emma K.'s father is in Iraq and he is fighting in 120 degree weather with 70lbs. of equipment. I find that astounding. Loveya!

Anonymous said...

U R SO STUPID!!! It is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Rabic, that is unkind. Apoligize to your sister, or I will be forced to come out and make you. But then that is not a bad idea, so I might just do it anyways... ;)

Zenka said...

wow, Michelle. That's almost too crazy to believe. I feel like fainting just thinking about it.
Rose, come down and make Rabic any time you like, just as long as you get sidetracked. :)
Hermes, you'd better come visit us soon, okay? That's a threat.
And Rabic, if you comment anything like that again, I might just delete it.
Our pool is cold. Brrr....

Anonymous said...

I really hate cold pools. Well, I guess if it is super hot there than a cold pool wouldn't be bad. Is your hot tub warm enough?

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't worry, I'm sure I would get REALLY sidetracked. ;)

Unknown said...

*buys plane ticket*

That's tight.

Anonymous said...

That's a creepy picture, Joe.

I love pools. :)